Pre Ranger course?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Recon83
Embryo

Pre Ranger course?

Post by Recon83 »

Just arrived at Fort Campbell from OSUT. My unit shipped to JRTC a few days before I arrived. My friends' units are here, however. They're going to Air Assault school on the 13th. And they claim that directly after Air Assault school, they're going to "pre-ranger." Don't get me wrong, I'd rather go out and do five mile runs in BDUs and execute through hardcore night land nav courses over this ammo-detail/staff duty, back to back with a bunch of whiney mechanics bullshit anyday.

But my question is, let's say I go to Pre-Ranger course and .. "make it." What happens then? I go back to my unit and say I went to a pre-ranger course, or will I actually be elegible for RIP and ultimately a Ranger Battalion?

PS. My PMOS is 19D and I'm not airborne qualified. I originally thought my best bet would be to re-enlist in two years as an 11B, preferably with some type of ranger contract, but the thought of being able to get out of an environment where most of my peers seem inadequate or repulsive anytime sooner than then is more than appealing.
Bell

Post by Bell »

I'm baffled.

RLTW
Bell
Recon83
Embryo

-

Post by Recon83 »

I am too, Ranger Bell. At first I thought they were just fucking with me to throw me into a jealous fit of rage, but then I took into consideration that they are the same guys who think they can make it through Ranger school because they ran a 13 and burn out after 55 pushups. "But the pamphlet only said you need a 229+ on your APFT!!!" -- the typical statistic.

So then I stopped and thought. These guys probably don't even know what RIP is, or that you don't just "go to ranger school," so they only know the term "pre-ranger" because someone told them about it. They don't have enough ambition to clean up the pile of empty twinky boxes lying around their room, let alone do some research on anything that would ultimately lead to volunteered physical or mental strain. I have no doubt that someone told them they would (or could?) go to pre-ranger after air assault.

And yes, they are 19Ds. I'm only assuming I will be offered the same oppurtunity when my unit returns. They're in a different battalion.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Why don't you read the forums.
This should have been your intro...use the search button.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Son, you don't know any fucking more than they do.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Listen up Mr. so-called Recon83 (that handle is bound to piss off some people around here dude). You're a cherry, your post makes almost no sense at all to me. If I were you I'd ask my squad leader for a SITREP on your questions concerning any "so-called" Pre-Ranger School at Ft. Campbell, KY.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

cannon fodder.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Rebel3
Embryo

Post by Rebel3 »

Rog!

( and HELL yah the handle gets to me! )
Find the Buggers and Pile ON!!!!
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Pre Ranger course?

Post by Silverback »

Recon83 wrote: But my question is, let's say I go to Pre-Ranger course and .. "make it." What happens then? I go back to my unit and say I went to a pre-ranger course, or will I actually be elegible for RIP and ultimately a Ranger Battalion?
OK...I'll be nice
1. Your unit (Chain of Command) would have to approve your attendence of Pre-Ranger, so you wouldn't have to "say you went to Pre-Ranger"

2. Pre-Ranger has nothing at all to do with attending RIP or being assinged to a Ranger Battalion.

Now to qoute Kilted Heathen "Fuck the shut up"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”