Internet Explorer Alternatives

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Browser of Choice?

Microsoft Internet Explorer
39%
Mozilla Firefox
51%
Mozilla Suite (complete browser and email)
2%
Netscape Navigator
2%
AOL's Browser
2%
Opera
4%
K-Meleon
No votes

Total votes: 49

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Desert Sloth wrote:I never knew that shit about IE. I have been having problems lately with IE for when I start using the Internet my laptop will freeze up.

I just switched over to Firefox. Like it much better....

Question for you computer geeks, will my computer stop freezing up while on the Internet or do I need to take my computer in and get it cleaned up? I am sure I got some spyware bullshit on my PC now.
Downlaod "search and destroy"

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

I had numerous problems with viruses and spyware her in the sandbox. A friend reccomended firefox and have had no problems since install. I reccomend anyone coming over to install a firewall, spyware, and a virus checker. I got a free zone alarm firewall from major geeks . com. The problem I have seen with windows update is that most viruses are written for windows, what snafu said is true, adware works good and you can get it for free. I use AVG anitvirus and it works better than norton. it's at grisoft.com
the Tool
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Have any of you Firefox users had any problems with FF eating up memory/memory leak? I have read a few things that claim that if FF is left running that it keeps gobbling up memory and the only way to free it up is to close it the re-launch. Very interested in using FF (thanks for bringing it to my attention) just interested in any bugs that people have encountered.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Silverback wrote:
Desert Sloth wrote:I never knew that shit about IE. I have been having problems lately with IE for when I start using the Internet my laptop will freeze up.

I just switched over to Firefox. Like it much better....

Question for you computer geeks, will my computer stop freezing up while on the Internet or do I need to take my computer in and get it cleaned up? I am sure I got some spyware bullshit on my PC now.
Downlaod "search and destroy"

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Also, there is typically alot of crap that gets loaded when you fire up windows. Here is a link for getting rid of some of that stuff in MSCONFIG. Use the Autoruns and the link to the descriptions of programs in MSCONFIG. Really helped mine. Spybot and Adaware never took the majority of them off. Look in the Autostart section of the article.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... eperf.mspx
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Since being turned onto the availability of another browser other than IE I have been doing quite a bit of research and want to here from some of our current users of FF.

So for all you hackers, wackers and tech-no geeks I have a couple questions:
1. It appears that there are a number of extensions that must be loaded to take full advantage of some web site. i.e. to play/hear music, view pictures. Is this true?
2. Do you run into many sites that can not be viewed with FF.
3. Do you spend a lot of time goofing with configurations, profiles and the like with FF.
4. Any general dislikes or things to be aware of when using or installing FF.

Thinking I might give it a try... I like the security benefits, just looking for a little for a little more pursuation.
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

McD wrote:1. It appears that there are a number of extensions that must be loaded to take full advantage of some web site. i.e. to play/hear music, view pictures. Is this true?
It comes with most of them already, but there are some that you run into that you have to add a plug in here or there. The ones that are most crucial, that affect the most sites that you need to have loaded are Adobe Acrobat reader and Flash.
2. Do you run into many sites that can not be viewed with FF.
No. There is only one site I use regularly that I cannot view in FF. This is mainly a problem with the company having a proprietary system for purchasing that ties into their inventory database live.
3. Do you spend a lot of time goofing with configurations, profiles and the like with FF.
The only thing I've spent time adding to FF is a skin so that it looks the way I want it to when I use it. - A slimmed down skin that maximizes the viewable browser area for content.
4. Any general dislikes or things to be aware of when using or installing FF.
There is not a tightly integrated email system for it, but I understand they are working on making Thunderbird (A mozilla email app) more tightly integrated, yet they will still be two standalone packages of software.

This last part is not a big deal if you use a web-based email application, such as yahoo email, gmail, or hotmail.

Also to be considered is if you work for a large company and everyone uses MSIE by default and you are supposed to work with IT to use other non-approved APPS. You should try to get the whole workplace to switch if possible.
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

Been running Firefox since last fall. I have had exactly 0 negative experiences with it. Spyware free, loving tabbed browsing, extensions, etc. Definately the best one I've tried.
A 1/75 Rgr Regt 96-97
1/503 Inf Regt (AASLT) 97-98
Broke Dick @ WAMC 98-99
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I just downloaded Firefox this morning. I have a few sites that I can't navigate without IE, but they are all sites I use in my business. I guess I can still use IE for those, and open up FF for everything else. :roll:
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

Creeping Death wrote:I just downloaded Firefox this morning. I have a few sites that I can't navigate without IE, but they are all sites I use in my business. I guess I can still use IE for those, and open up FF for everything else. :roll:
There is an extension for Firefox that adds an option to the right-click menu open links in IE - I use that at work for pages that will not load in Firefox. It can be found and installed from the Firefox extensions page.

Generally, almost all compatibility issues with FF that I've come across are with ActiveX. Due to the vulnerabilities in ActiveX that, if exploited, can allow unauthorized remote access to your system, FF does not support it. Good side - FF is more secure. Bad side - many enterprise type applications and business sites require ActiveX.
A 1/75 Rgr Regt 96-97
1/503 Inf Regt (AASLT) 97-98
Broke Dick @ WAMC 98-99
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

Ranger Spartan. I tried out Kmeleon, and I have to say, it's damn fast. I like it a lot, but have gotten used to some old habbits with Firefox.

I hope that it can gain some popularity and more people will write extensions for it, like they do for Firefox.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”