Timberland Boots

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
keithlester
Embryo

Timberland Boots

Post by keithlester »

I know this isn't really military-specific, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed that it's almost impossible to find a regular pair of Timberland boots anymore? I've worn Timberlands for hunting and hiking for years and have never owned better boots. I've worn-out my last pair after 7 years of good use, but all I can find are those crazy homeboy-looking atrocities. You know, purple suede, fucking hanging tags and shit. Does anyone know if they even actually make boots for normal people anymore? I'm getting pissed and I'm fixing to go buy a pair of Hermans or Redwings.
11B1P
3/47 Inf. (199th Bde), Ft Lewis '90-93
1/509 PIR (JRTC), Ft Polk '93-94
1/116 Inf. (29th ID, Light)
Airborne School @ B co. 1/507, 1990
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I guess it depends on the type boot you want. Their hiking boots still look OK, the the rest of them looks like something an inner city gang banger would wear.

I'm in a similar boat myself. I've always worn more of a hunting style boot(8"-12" insulated boots) man myself, and have owned two pair of Rocky boots in the last 15 yrs, and loved them both. My Rocky's are coming to the end of their life expectancy now, and I have to get another pair, but Rocky is made in China now, so they are fired.

Danner is always a solid choice. Irish Setter is a company that has caught my eye, and my next pair will probably come from them. I have also gotten some quality footwear, believe it or not, from Cabelas and Redhead (Bass Pro). Their stuff is normally comparable quality to other industry big names, but for quite a bit less. I own a pair of Redhead snake boots that I am very pleased with, and I paid about 40% less for them than if I had went with Rocky, La Crosse, or one of the other big names. Just be careful on the catalog brands, because it is hit or miss as to whether or not they are made overseas or here at home.

I'm right there with you on Timberland. Growing up, I wore Timberland chuckas, and Rocky hunting boots. One is made in China now, and the other has pandered to broader commercial markets to the point I feel they have forgotten who got them there.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
keithlester
Embryo

Post by keithlester »

Yeah, I forgot about Danners. I remember the GI ones being real good boots. I'll check on-line.
I liked the old Timberlands I had because they were not overtly hunting-style boots, so I could wear them at work, but they were still well-insulated and waterproof. For winter-time hunting in snow, I usually go with my no-name insulated rubber wellingtons . I also used to have a pair of the green kangaroo-skin Browning upland boots that I liked really well, but I haven't seen those around lately, either.
Anyway, thanks for the help, boss.
11B1P
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Whatever you do you can get it done in Georgia. Or something like that goes the commercial. I got a pair of Georgia work boots for Christmas and although it has only been a few days they seem like they are going to bee some good boots. And the pair I got were made in the US although some styles I noticed were made in china. Not sure if they make what you are looking for but it might be worth a look.
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I picked up a pair of Timberland Pro Series - they are brown with a steel toe and water hazard shock proof (not insulated tho). $73 at my local PX. The regular timberlands were selling for $129 at a shoe store called Footlocker. Big saving at the PX.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The good thing is a pair of Timberlands will bolster your street creds in the HOOD!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
keithlester
Embryo

Post by keithlester »

I went to Gander Mountain last night after work to check out the Danners and some of the other brands recommended. To my surprise and chagrin, I found that the were ALL made in China; Danners, Irish Setter, Rocky, Columbia, all of them. I hesitate to beleive that American-made boots are no longer available, so I figured it was just that Gander mountain only carries the low-end of each manufacturer's line. I went to another place here in Cleveland that sells more mountaineering/climbing-oriented stuff and found that most of the brands they carried were also made in either China or Vietnam. They did have some high-end mountaineering boots made in Italy (Scarpa, etc.), but they were all well over $300.
I'll keep looking.
11B1P
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

keithlester wrote:I went to Gander Mountain last night after work to check out the Danners and some of the other brands recommended. To my surprise and chagrin, I found that the were ALL made in China; Danners, Irish Setter, Rocky, Columbia, all of them. I hesitate to beleive that American-made boots are no longer available, so I figured it was just that Gander mountain only carries the low-end of each manufacturer's line. I went to another place here in Cleveland that sells more mountaineering/climbing-oriented stuff and found that most of the brands they carried were also made in either China or Vietnam. They did have some high-end mountaineering boots made in Italy (Scarpa, etc.), but they were all well over $300.
I'll keep looking.
I can say the Scarpas are good boots, finally wore out my last pair that I had bought in 93
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I found that the were ALL made in China; Danners, Irish Setter, Rocky, Columbia, all of them. I hesitate to beleive that American-made boots are no longer available,
Danner ? Shit, please don't tell me that Danner has moved to China too. I am geting ready to order some Acadias and I may have to change my mind on that.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I'll call Danner and order directly from them if it is an American made boot that I am getting. I will pay the extra $25. I was going to get a deal by ordering thru sportsmanguide.com and recieve a 10% discount, but that may be because they are made in China. The China Act has got to go!

~I just checked the sportsman guide web site and it states that they are MADE IN THE USA.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
keithlester
Embryo

Post by keithlester »

Yeah, I got a pair of Scarpa Attakks At REI when I was at Fort Lewis. That was in '91 and they are still going. I don't wear them anymore 'cause the sole has worn almost completely smooth (That's to be expected with long-term use and not a reflection of poor quality), but the uppers are still like new. They are definitley the best quality boots I have ever owned. I've been meaning to have them re-soled. They are non-insulated heavy-duty backpacking boots, though, so they don't fit my needs right now. I wish they made an insulated hunting boot.
As far as the Danners go, I still believe that Danner makes one of the best boots on the market, and that they, like too many other companies, outsource the low-end of the brand and still make the high-end here. You can't expect the cream of the crop at a big box store like Gander Mountain. The American ones are probably only available at serious specialty outlets. I found a place in town yesterday that sells Browning, Filson, and Clark, so I'll be getting my boots there.
11B1P
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Keith I have the Attacks and did wear the soles out into the leather, would like to get them resoled but havent found anyone to do it. I tried to get a new set but they dont make them anymore which sucks since I also have the Berghaus gortex gaiters that fit the soles
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Personal Gear”