No pre ranger anymore seeking guidance

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Grunt11B
Embryo

No pre ranger anymore seeking guidance

Post by Grunt11B »

Hello Rangers,

Its been about a year since i have posted on here, my first post was about going to Ranger Battalion, I was told the only way I could go was to drop my stripes and go as an E4 or go get my Ranger Tab. Well I was able to keep my stripes and now im set to be going to Ranger School, only condition is the PA has to bless off on it, as my unit is going to deploy and im staying back with dwell so i could go to Ranger School. One major problem is Fort Lewis has gone away with the Pre Ranger Course, my 1SG said he can try to get me on some land nav places in the training area but no guarantees. Basically i dont want to show up with out being 100% in every category. I was advised the only way I can go is based on 1 other contingent that I can not be recycled. As in doing so I will miss my time to fly to the sand box.

Any advice Rangers would be great. I am doing hardcore PT everyday, Army PT in the mornings 0630-0800 then I do Crossfit/P90X for 1 hour plus every night. My last 2 mile was 1145 pushups were 63 and situps were 60. Granted i know my weak spots on these events and have been un fucking myself in said events. I recently ran a 10k in 53min.

Thank you Rangers
Very Respectfully
Big Murph
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.â€
Nomad
Ranger

Re: No pre ranger anymore seeking guidance

Post by Nomad »

So you're a good runner...and that's about it if you've been in the Army for this long and still only do 63 and 60 on the other events.

Work on your upper body and core strength. Get used to having a ruck on your shoulder. A weekly road march should be a no brainer if you are fixing to carry a small house on your back. Don't go out and do 30 milers for practice, just keep it to no more than 12 once a week.

As far as PRC is concerned - it did nothing for me except add more suck to an already big enough suckfest. You have zero and RAP week to get your basic skills straight and then you're off to Darby.
Grunt11B
Embryo

Post by Grunt11B »

Ranger Nomad,

I have not always been good at running, i used to get 75 and 80's + in my pushups and situps, and I used to dog in my run, but in preparation for my promotion board in Afghanistan. I 6'5 and 255lbs, we do road marches at least 2 times a week. With 45-65lbs in full battle rattle. I have always been good at road marches. I was doing the SFAS PT Prep for a couple months to get my feet even tougher. I will although undoubtably take your advice. I have also done alot of OPORDS and Patrols while on my ETT in Afghanistan. Any other advice?

Thank you Ranger Nomad
Very Respectfully
Big Murph
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.â€
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

As long as you're in good shape physically, you should be good to go. You will get plenty of classes and practical application exercises before being evaluated. Don't mind fuck yourself about not being able to go to pre Ranger. Good Luck and Never Quit!!!
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Grunt11B wrote:Ranger Nomad,

I have not always been good at running, i used to get 75 and 80's + in my pushups and situps, and I used to dog in my run, but in preparation for my promotion board in Afghanistan. I 6'5 and 255lbs, we do road marches at least 2 times a week. With 45-65lbs in full battle rattle. I have always been good at road marches. I was doing the SFAS PT Prep for a couple months to get my feet even tougher. I will although undoubtably take your advice. I have also done alot of OPORDS and Patrols while on my ETT in Afghanistan. Any other advice?

Thank you Ranger Nomad
Very Respectfully
Big Murph
Murph,

Don't road march that much. You'll create too much pressure on your joints and it is completely counter-productive to train with anything over 45lbs.

Like I said, once a week is plenty. Don't overdo it. Also realize that you will not be wearing body armor in RS. However, your ruck will end up weighing quite a bit before you're all done with the course. By then you'll be tired enough and conditioned to easily carry more than 70lbs on your back.

But the one thing you should work on is your PT. A well rounded program is needed for you. Might want to check into the PT section of this board.

To reiterate what others have said before, one of them an RI:

PRC is not going to do a lot for you if you've been in for a while. If you listen, execute as per their SOP's and follow your team internal SOP's, do not spotlight and carry your weight, you will be fine.
Grunt11B
Embryo

Post by Grunt11B »

Alright rangers thanks for the advice, i will be dropping in to post results ie body fat loss and strength gains threw the next couple months. Today i should find out if the PA is going to be a DICK and not let me go to Ranger School. Hopefully everything works out right, If it does work out right i should be in school by August Sept time frame.

Thank you Rangers,
Very Respectfully
Big Murph
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Find an Orienteering club if you want to work on your terrain association skills. They have competitions which are basically land nav races. Good wilderness time but the scale of their maps may mess you up for Ranger School.

Good luck to you!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Contact Rangers Kilted Heathan or RRDTm3, they're the experts on PRC.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

JLTW!!! wrote:
. wrote:Isnt a PRC of some sort required before attending Ranger school?
I thought so, but I've been of AD a while now.

I agree with Guru/Nomad on it not helping you if you've been in for awhile, but on the same token, it can't hurt to get a little refresher/extra training in beforehand.
It sure as shit helped you.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

You can stop by anytime. I'm not hard to find.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”