Intro Spire

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spire
Egg

Intro Spire

Post by Spire »

Hello, My name is Jon and as of posting this I'm 19 years old and in NY. Since high school I've homeschooled myself due to frequently moving and have largely been sedentary and unathletic, but over the past few months I've realized that serving in the army as a ranger is one of the principle things I want to do in my life.

To put myself on that path I've started a regular exercise routine (situps/pushups/squats alternated with a run day between, one rest day) and started the process to finalize my GED; I plan on enrolling in a local college for a semester's worth of hours to boost myself to "tier 1" for enlistment, so I can't get passed up. I plan on enlisting sometime next year. Let me know if there's something I'm missing with this.

The biggest fear I have coming up to this is the question of my security clearance (I spent several years as a minor going through what would be considered a "red flag" country while travelling with my mother.) But I'm trying to push hangups out of the way and focus on improving my baseline fitness and knowledge of what I need to prepare for.

That's a little bit about me, looking forward to learning from this site
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro Spire

Post by Jim »

Welcome Jon. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? You need to establish a PT baseline to build on. Please conduct a self administrated AFPT within the next 72 hours, and post your results on this thread (include pull-ups). Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Jon.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Spire
Egg

Post by Spire »

Rangers, thank you for the welcome.

My APFT scores as of 12/4/2016 are:
Pushups: 34
Situps: 44

I had a slight muscle pull in my leg while running the other week and it's not quite healed up yet - I'll see if it can handle any form of run on tuesday so I can record the time here ASAP. I don't currently have access to a pull-up bar or gym, I'll try to find or purchase something that will work in the next week (though I'm not sure I'll even be able to post a single one until I increase my strength).

My current regimen is to do 15x5 situps and 20x5 of kneeling or 1/2 pushups, every other day. My body still finds these workouts exhausting but I'd like to push myself and try to improve my extremely low scores as fast as possible without injury - would it be safer increasing the days I exercise or the sheer amount?

Thank you
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jon, Please keep us updated on your enlistment progress. You still owe us a self administered PT test. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”